Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ready for the Excavator

I continued to use the dingo this morning to stockpile fill. I probably didn't stockpile enough, but I think I'm meant to use course gravel (for drainage) anyway. You can just make out the plywood sides I used to contain the pile in the picture. They are supported by hardwood posts buried around a metre deep or so. They seem to work well. However, the plywood bows a bit.

The only problem that I have with the Dingo is that it easily get bogged and with a bucket full of sand, it gets top heavy and has a tendency to fall over forward - the tip of the day is to hang on! Getting it unbogged is a sinch since one can just lower the bucket down and the front wheels are off the ground. If I hire one again (I doubt it), I'll make sure it is a hydraulic 4wd model - not chain! It fits easily onto the back of a aluminum tray ute using a pair of bobcat ramps. After about 8 hours of use, I think I can be considered 'OK' at handling the Dingo. I think I'll try something bigger next.

The skip bin guy picked up the 10cum of soil and dragged it away - not problem. Fortunately, the concrete drive did not crack



It is interesting that I attrack the interest of mums with their young boys. I hope the mums know what I am doing 'cause I'm sure I don't ;)

No comments: