Friday, March 20, 2009

Jaws

This week, in preparation for moving the sand stone blocks, I welded up a "block grab".

Initially I had heaps of problems with the mig welder wire getting jammed. I fixed the problem by re-seating the gun cord into the main unit and it all worked fine. I have one of those Lincon 180c mig welders. I really recommend it.

It is a very simple device made out of 2mm thick 50mm square section. It has been designed to lift around 200kg. You can't see it, but the pieces of wood are resting on a metal lip. I'm going to use it in conjunction with my 900kg rated crane. Almost as good as a Probst Block Grab TSZ Uni grab ;)

Luckily I don't need to get Workcover approval or any sort of engineering certificate for my $40 device. I'm sure people in the industry would shake their heads saying it should not be allowed.


No comments: