Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Rain is Back

The rain came back and the garage is flooded. I resorted to trying to siphoning water out from the bathroom. It seems to be going ok albeit slowly. It really has that dungeon look now - dripping water, water marks - pretty scary. I drilled about 5 holes in the subfloor to try to get the water to drain through.



One of the problems of such a huge garage is that it will collect a lot of water. Every 10mm of water equates to 1.3 cubic metres of water. I'm expecting 50mm this weekend. I did the calcs and by punny garden hose siphon will remove around 200ml per second. So this will take 10 hours to drain away. The easiest way to calcuate the effect of siphoning is the cross sectional area multipled by the square root of 20 times the height difference.

I returned on Monday to find that the siphon had stopped. Either it had finished or became blocked. I started it up again and it drained most of the water after about 6 hours. I suspect it finished since there was a water mark on the park's footpath.

It is a very interesting garage. I may call it a dungeon. All those water marks - which would be impossible to artificially produce really make it quite dramatic and theatrical. A few moose heads would give it the finishing touch. The very rich dark red tanins from the spotted gum and bloodwood really add colour which I suspect would be almost impossible to remove. I'm not even going to try!

No comments: