Saturday, November 7, 2009

8th attempt at window sash w2

I routed the groove to hold the glass pane in the sashes today.

I attempted to first do this with the window frame all held together as a rectangle. Somehow I lost my grip and the window frame kept on bouncing off the router bit like a pool ball on a pool table (except it was the pool table moving). It made a complete mess of window sash W2 - ripped it to shreds. Not to mention that I almost dislodged my router - it was hanging loose and at an angle - which made it even worse. Fortunately the router was ok and the bit was also fine. Really scarey though - I was shaking a little bit. The router bit is around 5cm in diameter with 4 teeth and the speed of the router is 22000rpm. So the angular velocity is a cool - wait for it- 44.6 m/s or 160 kilometers per hour!

I'll redo W2 for the 8th time on Monday.

We went to IKEA today to buy our kitchens. We spent around 5k and got exactly what I wanted - very boring but very practical (kind of). Liz is "ok" with it, but she would have prefered a solid wooden kitchen. I'll do the upgrade in 25 years when the warranty runs out.

No comments: