Thursday, November 12, 2009

Stairs and Glass

My glass for my fixed windows arrived today - yay! We started to put them in. Unfortunately one of the panes blew out and smashed before the beading was put in. But fortunately for some reason I got two extra panes so problem solved. The glass is special "comfort plus" and has a low U value (or high R value 0.28). It is really expensive at $250 per square metre. It reduces heat loss by over 30%, reduces voice noise by 15%, blocks out 99% of UV. It also lets in 82% of the light - which is good. Most of the windows have been reduced in size due to being made out of timber and having the jambs made out of 45mm thick timber. Technically I should not have to use energy rated glass, but I'm hoping that I will save on energy.

I have noticed that the acoustics have changed since installing the glass.

The stairs are in and they are great.





Here is the status of the kitchen windows. The glass has been ordered, the sashes have been built, the electricity, gas, plumbing have been roughed in. The kitchen has been bought. The gyprock people have being arranged to start next Wednesday or Thursday. The only thing left to do is install the fixed glass, sashes and a bit of oiling.



The carpenters will return on Monday to finish a few more things off.

No comments: