Saturday, January 15, 2011

front office almost finished

Finally I've just got around to putting this up. Work took 4 days, but it is done (almost - need to hide some power cables).



As you can see I used the Ikea kitchen system - you are looking at just over 4000 dollars worth of kit. I really like their soft close draws.

Obviously the standard bench height of 900mm would be no good, so I used some spare timber flooring to construct a plinth. That reduced it to 760mm. The floor was not exactly flat and level, so I used plastic packers (plastic shims) to pack out a level height. I screwed the cabinets to the plinth so it (plinth) didn't move. Pretty ugly at photo level, but you just don't see it unless you want to make like a mouse.



I've got a bit of tiding up here to do, but you can see how the cables run. The power cables go up through the wall cavity to the power points which are 8cm above the table bench. I put timber flooring right where my feet would hit just so I don't mark the wall with my black soled shoes.



Here you can see I first mounted a strip of timber below the wall cabinets before I installed them. It gives them a nice level and strong stop to rest onto. Below, you can see I put some timber skirting where the wall meets the bench. I sealed them with silicone in case there were any spills. The advantage of the power points at bench level is that we can turn them off at the point to save power.



Walls are never perfect enough to accommodate long lengths of cupboards, so to allow for my convex wall, I put in a timber spacer. You can just see that it is narrower at one end then the other. It is also great for running cables. It allowed me to mount yet another power point for the printer.



Liz helped me put together and install the doors and draws - a long tedious process that is made heaps easier with an battery powered drill used as a screw driver.

No comments: