Thursday, September 10, 2009

Floor Progress

The chippies have really started to get into the floor. They have added the front posts and started to joist.



I'm working on the second door to the garage. It is very very strong. I put all my weight on a swinging door and it did not sag at all. Mind you, if you check out the bracing - which I hammered into place, you can see why -sub millimetre tolerances. The carpenter conviced me to put the bracing this way. I've still got to clad them with the spotted gum toungue and grove. It is all lapped jointed with construction adhesive.



To check the half lap joints, I simply used by new dewatt sliding drop saw with a depth stop to cut a few groves (every 2cm or so). Then I would use my hammer to knock out the waste (I love this bit). A chisel to do a bit of a roiugh clean up followed by a belt sander to get rid of the high spots. I ended up using by trusty rusty calculator to calculate the angle of cut for the bracing - that worked fine :) Trust me, you don't want to use a router of F27 or F34 grade hardwood - it would take like forever.

To try to maintain my weight, I've restored to eating junk food - mostly chocolate. Anyway, I gave my daugher a piece (she vistited me today) and the I asked her whether she wanted some more. She said no. Come on, she is three! Three year olds are meant to love chocolate!

No comments: