Friday, May 13, 2011

Cement Drive Way

9 bags of cement later and track one of the cement driveway is done.

I first layed a bed of soil and cement and then laid the "real" concrete (100mm thick with some spare steel mesh). The real concrete consisted of soil, recycled aggregate and cement. I opted for a broom finish. The reason for this bed of soil cement is because I had to excavate to about 200mm to remove a lot of decaying roots. I could have simply compacted the ground or filled it with gravel, but it was just cheaper to use soil and cement.

Being a cold day, I didn't have any issues with the concrete going off too quickly.

The ozito cement mixer is gutless, you could hear it groan as it mixed. It didn't actually stop, but I'm sure it could have easily happened. I would not recommend the cement mixer for any serious work as it really slows down under load and like all Ozito stuff, it is under powered. The last thing you want to do is have to stand around waiting for the mixer to mix properly and worry about it breaking down. But for me, it was a good buy.

I also elected to stabilize it a bit more by fixing the bottom bar of the stand to a piece of 4*2 just to make sure in no way could it fall over.





No comments: