Sunday, January 4, 2009

Swimming

After a long day, with dust, water and grime, I've been making a habit of going for a swim in the sea - 10 minute walk. Very effective.

It cost me $92 dollars to dispose of the asbestos. I used the wet method to remove it all - didn't have much - very narrow eaves and the bathroom had a plaster ceiling. Took about half a day.

I also found that a demolition license from work cover (something that I don't need to get for a couple of reasons - ie I'm not a worker and the structure is less than 10m high and I'm demolishing using hand tools) would cost $2000. Ouch! No wonder why houses cost so much.

I'm thinking that maybe they want to encourage DIY demolition for environmental reasons. Lucky for them I'm a hard core, extreme environmentalist, extreme sports owner builder. Kimbriki took all of the unwanted, untreated, unpainted wood for recycling and for free! Something that would not be possible if I had used a demolition company.

No comments: