Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Burst Water Pipe

I managed to put a star picket through the water main - unfortunately not my side of the meter. I got some plumbers out and they installed a dodgy clamp that was really only meant for gal pipes. It still dribbled a little bit.

A week later after the concrete set and being one not to miss a DIY opportunity, I made a pipe crusher out of some timber and M12 bolts. It did kind of work - ie reduce the flow a bit more.

When the plumber arrived 10 minutes later at 7am to freeze and properly repair the pipe, he undid the meter and we bent the pipe over and further reduced the flow - still trickling. So it was 5 pound hammer time bashing the pipe sealing it even more.

In addition to fixing the pipe, I got him to install a couple of gas heater outlets.



Neat pipe crushing job...



No so neat pipe bent over and bashed job. You can also see the star picket damage...

No comments: