Saturday, June 25, 2011

DIY Potting Mix

Potting mix is expensive, so why not mix your own.

I bought yet another cubic metre of compost from the recycling centre $35. They used a massive front end loader to load it. It took them 4 "bucket loads" to fill my ute tray simply because the bucket was twice the width of my tray and they didn't want to spill anything.

Anyway, with my trusty cement mixer, I sure made quick work mixing the compost, sand and a bit of ammonia sulfate. It mixed very quickly and very well - a minute per wheel barrow load.

I found that you can no longer get ammonia nitrate nor potasium nitrate (thanks to alkada and a paranoid government).

I lowered the blocks just so there is a level pathway beside the driveway

Forming up fro the concrete around the stormwater pits...

The finish product, complete with native violets

No comments: