Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Questions, Belt, Blockwork and Grout

The first couple of times that people have come up to me and asked me what I am building, I thought how quaint, how friendly and fair enough and I said "a house". Now it is getting a bit of a worry - what do people think I am building - I mean come on, what are the options - an airport?

I got so fed up today with continuously pulling up my pants so I could move properly without my pants getting caught on my thighs and I made the move and drilled another hole in my belt. Liz (my wife) is worried that I might start loosing too much weight.

The blockworker came yesterday and "fixed" up the blocks. To make them straight (within 10mm) he had to really noticably offset the blocks. Oh well at least the problem is confined to the corner. To my absolute annoyance, the guy told me he knew that there was a problem when they were laying the blocks and told someone and yet no one elected to tell me - I suspect the worse. And to think that when I initially complained about it, the boss man said someone must of lent on it. I just lost some trust in trades people.

I took a laser level over the blockwork and I found that the difference between the minimun and max is 50mm. I'm using expensive non-shrink grout to level off the blocks - apparently the min thickness is 10mm. I formed it up using planks of pine lined with foam. I laser level the planks and then screed off them. The foam creates a tight joint between the pine and the blocks. I tried using F clamps to hold the pieces of pine against the block wall - I found my 12" G clamps work much better. I mixed the mortar in my wheel barrow using a garden hoe - much easier than a shovel - something I learnt from the blockworker who came yesterday and asked me to mix up some mud for him.





I don't understand these blockworkers - I mean the concretor (who recommended them) knows what sort of job they did and the carpenter (who was recommended by a blockworker) also knows.

I have kind of finished the backfill - there are however some significant low spots to fill. A total of 30 cubic metres or 42 tons of gravel.

I also got a spinter yesterday and I tried to remove it using a toothpick - not a good idea - all it did was just drive it in. I ended up gouging it out with a sharp knife.

No comments: