Friday, August 7, 2009

Still building internal walls

The block layers didn't finish laying the blocks today so it is stretching over to Saturday. They started off really quick on the external walls, but began to slow down when they returned to the internal walls. I think they were disappointed. I spent most of the day putting in steel and making sure everything is just right.

One of my friends told me about an architect that would go through and smash anything that was wrong with a sledge hammer. I took a leaf out of that book and removed some of the ventilation blocks that were not right. Kind of the Israeli strategy of creating a reality on the ground. It was only 5 blocks, but it made a real difference. The main block layer arrived looked, I explained they look like shit and he was fine. A tough day at the office. I'm really not into confrontation, but I know what has to be done. No point complaining once the work has been done.

I find the people working at the building supply place funny. Obviously they have been instructed not to give advice like you would get from a civil engineer, but they know how it is done. I can't imagine anybody seriously suing these guys for bad advice. I think it comes down to framing the question in the right way.

I have core filled one in four cores because the BCA (building code of aus) tells me that if you do this and reinforce it with steel then it counts as reinforced masonary. Now I'm not too sure why I need a reinforced bathroom, stairwell or utility room, but it sounds good to me. Maybe if there is a storm, we have some where to hide.



You can just see the pieces of fibro that I have put on some of the cores to blank them out. The alternative tis to shove newspaper down them after they have been laid. I re-inforced the top three course with steel and concrete to make them strong.

No comments: