Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Slab is Ok at the moment

There does not seem to be any cracks forming in the slab. However, the next 24 hours is critical. The Zypex guy turned up to inspect the slab. Apparently they have a solution if it starts cracking.

I kind of though water proofing the concrete would be a good idea. It was part of a holistic approach to keeping the garage dry. It really wasn't so serious for the Zypex guy to turn up. I really don't think I will have a damp problem. My neighbour has excavated a wine cellar that rarely floods. The park next to me falls sharply away - I have been siphoning water using a garden hose out of the beam footings into the park. On the other hand a damp and dank garage would represent a failure to me. I get the feeling that the main benefit of using zypex is to prevent concrete cancer.

An indirect benefit of the zypex guy is that he ensures that the pour is done by the book. He checks the steel, each truck load of concrete, vibration, screeding, troweling and application of curing compound.

No comments: