Thursday, August 20, 2009

Stairs and Backfill

I got the concretors to put in the stairs. I was a bit tricky as the last step was like a hob. They are re-inforced and the concretors assure me I will have no problems. The width of the hob is just 80mm. The rising and going is a respectable 170mm and 270mm. The minimun opening into the utility area is a good 940mm - more than enough for 600mm wide wheelie bins.


Here is the formwork of the stairs. They hammered nails into the mortar joints and was able to brace everything against other walls so as not to put any holes into the concrete.
The concrete truck driver came along with 0.5 cubic metres of concrete. It was wheel barrowed over 10 or so metres in about 5 loads in my dodgy wheel barrow. It was meant to be 80mm slump but it was more like 120mm. As a result, it took ages (3 hours) to go off enough for the guy to strip the formwork and rub everything down (to give it texture) and fill up any voids behind the formwork. Next set of stairs, I might just do it myself.

I have almost finished the backfill of the rear wall.




No comments: