Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Routing out Holes

I spent most of the day routing out the (30cm dia) holes in the plywood piers caps.



I found that three of them were miss-aligned so I had to alter the pier liners. I created a sleeve - a bit like a spout in a beer jug to correct them. I only corrected two of them as the third was only miss-aligned by a 1.5 centimetres. I used Tek screws to join the sleeves.



I also tried out my rebar bender. I works well but I am not heavy enough so I have to use a bit of momentum to get it to bend. I will probably use N16 for everything - not much difference in price



My order of pier/column liners sort of arrived today. They stuffed up and delivered pier liners instead of column liners - arg. They promised me that I will get the pier liners tomorrow.

I spoke to the steel guy today, they will be fixing up my order and deliver the rest tomorrow.

To measure out, I use a Leica Disto D3. The reason being is that it can compensate for angular trajectories up to 45 degrees (from memory). It works well outdoors - contrary to the blurb - I think they don't want to cannibalise their more expensive models. At 25m, I would recommend using it either late afternoon or early morning. My site is not level, so the angular feature is a god send. It also measures to the nearest millimeter.

The forecast for today was 90% chance of 10-20mm. I think the site received 1mm.

No comments: