Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Still drying out

My trenches are still drying out. Some of the ones located deeper (>2m) are clay and are very mushy. It is incredible to think that my deepest excavation is 2.7m below ground level.

I tried in vain to contract the council on Friday about the pour for the piers. They rang back on Monday and I fessed up that they have been poured. I explained that Sydney Water had inspected them. They just want photos and a copy of Sydney Water's report.



The rear excavation was really starting to fail, the enbankment was starting to collapse much like you see waves eroding a sand bank on a beach. Whole chunks were falling into to trench. I immediately executed my emergency plan which is to do more shoring. I tied the timber posts back to star pickets about three metres away. That seemed to arrest the collapse.



I have removed some of the form work for the piers.

I cut the formwork away with a jig saw after slightly raising it. I used a crow bar to remove the blocks of wood from the sides of the pier liners.

No comments: