Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Core Filling Blocks

The concrete guys were delayed today. They got there though, any everything was done fairly quickly. It took 2 loads of concrete.

I only had a problem with one core and I had to manually fill it with a bucket. It was lucky that I noticed that. Especially as this was one of the cores that had a post holder in it. That core was pretty jammed packed. It had reo, the post holders and the blocks, being corners, had to be around 4cm narrower to accommodate the rock face.

While I was filling this core, the top block was coming apart and was about to blow. The corner rock faces you need to paste a rock face side to the narrow face of the block. I quickly grabbed a giant 1.2m clamp and secured the situation.

The concretor added heaps of water to increase the slump - ease in which it would fill up the cores. Even though adding water is a big no no, I felt it was probably the better of two evils - unfilled cores. The concrete seemed to flow like water. I guess I will find out tomorrow when I strip the forms to determine if the cores filled up ok. Of course I will have no idea regarding the corners and the clean outs are not directly exposed. Everyone thought that a good job had been done on the cores, so that is good.

The post holders were manually centred. Probably not perfectly where they should be, but I guess that is more of a cosmetic thing than a structural thing. All of the post holders had a N16 bar going through them to tie them to the wall.

When I got there this morining the gap filler was still spongy and I was really worried about it blowing out. I quickly raced around puting on silicone - it seems to dry quicker. I probably should not have worried. When the cores were filled, there was not much sign of leakage.



The core filler had to walk ontop of the 2.4m wall to fill the cores - seemed a bit dangerous to me. But I guess he mostly had the boom pump to hold himself steady. There was a bit on tension between the workers with the pump operator wanting not to sheer off too many branches and the core filler wanting the nozzel right above the blocks.

No comments: